Saturday, October 15, 2005

An 11 hour diversion

I will continue to tell you my camping story this week. First we have an 11 hour diversion from camping.

When I arrived at work on Thursday, I found that they had given away eight tickets to the Nascar Busch race. That gave me three projects to work on: get tickets from somebody, change my work schedule so I could go on Friday night, and find a babysitter.

With those three goals accomplished, and it wasn't easy, Cari and I were off to Charlotte last night for the Busch race.

We left around 3pm and were walking around the grounds by six. Parking was a bit confusing and we ended up paying $20 for parking. This turned out to be in our favor at the end of the night.

Nextel Cup practice was still being held when we got to the track, so we watched drivers in and out of the garage. We met with the other six people from my store who had tickets for a few minutes. Cari and I headed out to the SPEED stage to watch Trackside Live being broadcast. We stood in the audience and cheered like idiots as the camera passed over our heads. I was the one in a Jeff Gordon hat, maybe you saw me if you were watching Friday night. After seeing Rusty Wallace make his way on stage we started back for our seats.

The race was AWESOME! The only problem was that every time I picked a driver to cheer for, he wrecked or broke his car and was out of the race. Jimmy Johnson, Kyle Busch, Robby Gordon. Some that I wanted to cheer against also got out. Primarily, Kevin Harvick and Tony Stewart.




Ryan Newman, who was passing cars at will last night, ended up winning the race.

I took a lot of pictures. A lot of blurry pictures. Taking pictures of a car passing you at 190+ mph can be tricky. Toward the end, I did learn how to take a good picture. It was good practice for me, because we are headed to Atlanta to see the Nextel Cup race there at the end of the month.

After a race filled with cautions, we headed out of there after 11:30. This is where the $20 paid off. We were directly across from the track, so we were in our car and on the road before most of the drunk people even found their cars.Home by 2am made this my 11 hour diversion from camping stories.

No comments: