Friday, February 10, 2006

Circle of Life


The Japanese beetles devour my flowers in the spring and summer. The beetles I don't kill escape to the ground. There they breed and create white grub worms. These very large and nasty worms will eat the roots of my grass and cause dead spots.

Then, in the winter, the gophers smell the grubs and start digging tunnels in my yard. The more grubs there are, the more gopher tunnels I will see.

So far, there is nothing good for me about this life cycle.

It's about to get worse.

The dog then senses something going on in this raised parts of the grass. Immediately the dog starts digging up the tunnels looking for the intruder. The dog finds nothing and an entire section of my yard has been turned into a pile of dirt.

The grubs that survive the gophers will emerge in just a few months as beetles. The beetles will work hard at destroying my flowers while I'm trying to repair the yard, starting the entire cycle over again.

Sometimes I feel like I'm on Candid Camera.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Duck ~

I know I just sent you a link, but Brandon has been writing about the circle of life too.
http://blorge.blogspot.com/2006/02/wilderness-wanderings.html
Faith has been watching the lion king like crazy lately too. I think maybe the Lion King is to blame for the circle of life being popular in the first place. What really is there left to say except Hakuna Matata!!

John said...

See, I'd use the tunnels to put in the automatic sprinkler system. And poison. Lots of poison.

Duck Hunter said...

that should help with most of it, then what do I do with the dog, John?

Michelle, you gave me an idea. Maybe if I had a lion in the yard, the dog wouldn't be digging as much.