Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Not anything that can eat.

Randy's birthday is quickly approaching. What he wants for his birthday changes about every time he takes a bath. He'll see something he wants and tell you he wants it for his birthday. Two days later, and even sometimes two hours later, he is asking for something different.

One of his recent requests was made to his mother. A hamster. For some unknown reason, Cari bought into this idea and approached me with it. Why we would want to purposely infest our house with a variety of rat I do not know.

A few years ago Randy went and got a dog for his birthday. It's still alive, but the boy can hardly can manage feeding it once a day. Taking care of a hamster would certainly not fit into my agenda and I let Cari know that. I did my best to destroy any hope of owning a hamster in Cari's mind.

Then I read these posts over at Tammy's blog. She purchased a hamster for her son. You can read for yourself how that turned out. POST 1 POST 2 POST 3

Now it looks like Randy will be getting his own digital camera. This is something that he has been asking for pretty consistently. We'll see what else he ends up with, but I can guarantee that it will not be a living creature.

3 comments:

Speed Seeker said...

Yeah, when my GF Tammy got that Hamster for her son it was fine @ the beginning. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was bought from a pet store where they are mauled by every kid walking by. I had a Hamster when I was a kid. It was from a friend who's hamster had babies, so I grabbed 2. I didn't get one till I was about 7-8 and even then I can remeber my mom doing most of the feeding and cleaning...hehe

Tammy said...

Yeah-at a different petstore they told me that no use in getting ahamster till the kids are about 8 or 9. Digital camera is a great idea - no film costs!!!! Good Luck

Michelle said...

Stick to your guns D.H. I have to go give the hermit crabs a bath. Sigh!!