Thursday, February 23, 2006

Not a great adventurer

Plans were in place for several days to go on a new hike. The hike was listed as a "strenuous" hour and half hike (one way). The trail was noted as not being well marked and crossing streams in several places.

Since my last hike, I had heard several complaints that I should not have gone alone. This time I got a friend to go with me.

That was the plan until my friend called last night and said he wouldn't be able to go because he wrecked his car.

This morning I was still determined to hike. While debating if I should take the planned hike alone I pictured myself either lost, on the side of the trail with an injury, or being mauled by a bear. After all that, I packed my backpack for hiking.

Then I started getting nervous and chose a shorter trail to a different waterfall. Today I went to see Station Cove Falls. . .alone.


Shortly after entering the woods I saw fresh paw prints in the mud. This increased my level of tension. Every five steps I was looking side to side and checking behind. Every rustled leaf caused me to pause and look for the glowing eyes of some predator.

When I got to the falls I sat down to get a drink and get my camera out. When you sit at the base of a waterfall the only thing you can hear is water. It is very loud. During the hike in I had used my sense of hearing more than anything to avoid finding wildlife. Having lost that sense kept me looking around even more.
It was beautiful there but I could not get myself to relax. After thirty minutes of taking pictures and sitting down to admire the falls, I headed out.

Just as I started feeling a bit more comfortable, I came across this print in the mud.
More catlike, in my opinion, than the first. My major problem with this was that it was next to my shoe print going in. This cat was here AFTER I went in.

Sitting in the car, I laughed at myself. I am not a great adventurer.

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Um.... scary!