Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ringling Bros & Barnum & Bailey

The Greatest Show on Earth! (lite)

The people that produce a circus are not stupid. After getting past security and into the building the first thing you, and your children, see are tables full of noisy, colorful, light-up toys.

Immediately, my children's' hands reached for the tables as I tried to lead them to our seat. There was a VERY strong gravitational pull but Cari and I escaped without purchase.

Once in our seats the battle continued. Men and women walking up and down the aisles carrying armfuls of cotton candy ($10) and snow cones ($8). Cari and I stayed strong and quieted the call for overpriced goodies.

The reason I said this was the Greatest Show on Earth (lite) is because that's exactly what it was. There are three traveling groups that put on circus shows with Ringling. This one is a one and a half ring circus for a smaller venue. What this means is they don't bring the lion tamer. Instead you get the lady that trained a cat to walk around with a bird on its back.
Here is the strong man about to catch a fired cannon ball. It was the last stunt he did for us.


The elephants were really cool to watch. Especially when they picked up two of the performers by the leg for a quick snack.


Pretty sure this group of guys were under the influence of some drug. Seven motorcycles inside a small steel ball. Most of them followed each other around in a circle, but then one of them got dizzy and started going around top to bottom, just missing the rest of the group.

Randy asked me why they say it's the Greatest Show on Earth. I told him they think they have the best show. His reply was, "Well, SpongeBob is a good show."
The circus was fun and at the end of it, everyone took a nap. Except me.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

D.H. ~ I have a similar picutre of Faith after the circus in my archives for April. I think this link should work

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/249/5172/1024/sleep%20circus.jpg

Must be all the trill and chills that just wipes them out :)

John said...

I so do not miss the Circus. Up here, we just throw The Boys out and make 'em run from wolves. It's a good show. Dunno 'bout great.

Anonymous said...

It was a really cool 2006 circus show.