Thursday, March 09, 2006

I want to buy a boat

About six months ago I went to the dentist for a checkup and cleaning. Nothing out of the ordinary except for the fact it had been ten to twelve years since my previous visit.

The lady getting ready to clean my teeth asked why I waited so long and I told her I had been busy.

She brought out her heavy duty cleaning equipment and went to work. Then I had some x-rays done. Then she poked around looking for cavities. She couldn't find one.

It was not a horrible experience really and I felt like I should be good for another ten years. The dentist is not a place I like going.

Then the dentist came in. He poked around too, and couldn't find anything. Then he said, "You should get your wisdom teeth pulled. All four of them." As he spoke, he drew a large red "x" over each of my wisdom teeth on the chart. I didn't say anything, but I know the color left my face. He then told me that they didn't have any cavities. The wisdom teeth are so far back it would be hard for me to keep them clean was his reasoning. Whatever. See you in ten years.
Sounds like the guy was trying to earn some money toward that new boat.

That was six months ago. Time to go back for my six month checkup/cleaning. The same lady came in to clean my teeth and she remembered me. The cleaning process didn't take as long this time. Again, she poked around and found zero cavities. The dentist came in and poked around. He said, "you still have those wisdom teeth, huh?"

There were a lot of things I was thinking about saying to him, but I didn't say anything except, "they aren't coming out."
They don't hurt. They aren't rotten. I'm keeping them in my mouth.
Maybe I should have requested he pull my front two teeth out. They are kind of in the way when I'm trying to brush those hard to reach wisdom teeth.

I knew then that I would never, EVER, like this dentist.
So he proceeded to check a little closer on my wisdom teeth since I decided to keep them. He poked and scratched at them. He said he couldn't see or feel any cavities. Whew. Then he pulled out a little thing that looked like a laser pointer you would buy at Target. The dentist (jerk) told me it would measure the density of my teeth. He touched the end of his pointer to each of my wisdom teeth and it made a squealing sound.

"Yeah, you might have the beginning of a cavity in each one of those.", he said.
I thought he might have the beginning of a cavity in his head. Let's use his density meter up there.
He took the red "x" off of the teeth in my chart and replaced it with a yellow mark indicating a cavity. Again, the color left me. This was going horribly wrong. He said if a cavity gets too bad in my wisdom teeth, they could crack when he tries to fill them, and that would cause even more issues. I suppose he never earned that money for his new boat. He certainly would not be getting one soon based on my appointments.

I left without placing any appointment for cavity fillings. This guy wants nothing but to destroy my wisdom teeth. I really believe he has it out for my teeth. He was successful in causing me to freak out the rest of the day. When I got home, I researched cavities on the internet for a good hour.

After reading, I have started some new habits. Number one, I brush and then rinse with Listerine after EVERY meal. There is NO snacking between meals because that is the time your teeth are under the most attack of germs. I drink more water because the fluoride in the water helps throughout the day in your saliva. Every night before bed I rinse with fluoride. Fluoride is a mineral that your teeth will use to REBUILD any damage done. Your teeth can not fill an existing cavity, but they can rebuild weak areas.

Cari feels that I am getting a bit obsessive about this whole thing. I'm not too sure if she is right, I feel like I'm just being cautious.

One thing is for CERTAIN, I will find a different dentist before I ever go back.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

If you over brush your gums will start to recede. It happended to my sister in law.
I got my wisdom teeth pulled at the U of M for 50 dollars a tooth, because the dental students performed the extractions. I think it was the girls final exam because after each she had to show it yanked molar to someone else. I was on laughing gas, so at the time it didn't really occur to me the danger I was in.
I think your dentist just wants to make some extra cash off of you.

John said...

Cavities? Isn't that what Bondo is for?

Miranda said...

When I got my wisdom teeth pulled (they were bothering me), the dentist was trying to beat his previous record. Apparently, he times himself to see how fast he can pull the teeth. I guess mine were ready to come out - he had no problems and did it in about 10 minutes or something equally crazy. I hate the dentist too. I'm hoping my mouth still holds the record.