Thursday, March 02, 2006

Study Time

My last hike was a scary one. Paw prints stamped in the mud proved that wild animals were out to get me. With that in mind, I decided to head to the zoo and figure out what was hunting me in the woods that day.

Identifying the predators was only a partial success for me. My technique was very basic. At every exhibit I checked their feet. Any one of them could have been my stalker. Well, maybe not the tortoise, but any one of the large cats could have been my predator.

This meant I would have to study all the cats in the zoo. The good thing about this is that they all behave about the same.

The weather was awesome outside and it was late morning. This would be the time to really check these animals out during their most active state.
Maybe I would see them gnashing their teeth. Blood would be dripping from their jaws. They would look and behave just as I pictured them while in the woods last week.

The fact is what I pictured in my head is NOT what I found.These cats do nothing but sleep.

They also are not native to this area. So my research was a total waste of time.

But I did get a picture of a baby orangutan with mommy.As for my hikes. . .I'll just have to carry a bigger stick.

2 comments:

John said...

Hmm. I for one welcome our new organutan overlords.

Michelle said...

I'd say stick to hiking in the zoo where the preadators are caged.