Sunday, July 22, 2007

End of Another

Another weekend has ended. What did you do?
I actually had the weekend off from work. Cari got Harry Potter, so the kids and I kept busy. Mostly with Nintendo and swimming.

On Saturday we headed over to the Hagood Mill for a music/cultural festival. They are reconstructing a cotton gin, have a moonshine still, a working grist mill, and several buildings to show other crafts from that era.

We put out a blanket and listened to some music.I love this place. Something that can not be captured in a photograph is the sounds. There was music at both ends of this sight. The stage area is surrounded with these old wooden buildings. We were watching a banjo and fiddle duo play and sing. To my left was a blacksmith, pounding out a piece of red-hot steel. The steady "tink" of his hammer only added to atmosphere.

Inside the grist mill, a bell rang and things got very loud. The building shook a bit. A bale of corn was placed in the hopper and they were making grits.

They have events like this out here pretty frequently, but I have to work most Saturdays. I'm always happy when I can attend. There are a few more pictures from this on my flickr account.

Sunday was another lazy day. Not much got done. Played some with the kids, Cari finished her book and joined us for a few games.

Church was different today. I'm planning on writing about that in more detail this week.

Well, I have to get up and be to work by six tomorrow morning. Wish me luck getting up.

4 comments:

rakethetable said...

Keep me in mind this fall when you see a good festival up your way. We usually try and get to the mountains in sept/oct. Some of these festivals you go to seem really great.

Thanks!

Michelle said...

Hope you got up alright. Kel's folks were in town all weekend. Needless to say I wish I had a Potter addiction to hide behind all weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Everything about that festival stirs my heart! Isn't that wierd? Even the grits! I love grits! I love the mountains, I love Southern comforts (although not the kind they'd make in the moonshine still). It sounds lovely and I so wish I could have gone. What kind of music did they play? Oh how I miss the mountains.... place of my birth..... Ok, I'm sure you've had enough of me by now. I truly hope you have a fantastic week.
~Abbie

Duck Hunter said...

I'll let you know, Rake. Maybe we can all meet up somewhere.

Music, Ab? It was rap mostly.
With the fiddle, banjo, wooden spoons, and the bearded man that climbed down from the mountain that morning.... mostly rap. ;)