Tuesday, November 04, 2008

It's a baaaaaby!

We just got back from our winter vacation trip to Charleston, SC.   On our way home yesterday, we stopped at the Columbia zoo.  It was a cloudy Monday and at times it felt like we had the zoo to ourselves.  

Then I heard a whiny little voice of a kid - not my kid , "It's a baaaaaby!"   I looked down and saw a kid pointing at Brenna.  He or she, we still aren't sure, was between eight and ten years old.  The kid kinda looked like a boy but was dressed kinda like a girl.  Pink shirt, powder blue jacket, heart pocket on the jeans and pink shoes.  The haircut was very plain and gender neutral.  Brenna was standing against the glass looking at the gorilla and the kid repeated, "It's a baaaaaby!"  Kids parents were across the room looking at the animals and ignoring their he/she.   Cari and I ignored the kid as he/she continued to watch Brenna at point blank range.  We collected our kids and moved onto the next exhibit.

About twenty minutes later, the kid and his/her family caught back up to us.  I knew this because I heard, "It's a baaaaby!"   I started wondering if this kid has ever seen a  baby before. He/she  ignored the giraffes in front of us and started looking at Brenna.  The kid never said anything else until Brenna reached over and touched a hand.  "The baaaaaby likes me!  She touched my hand!"  This kid had a whiny voice and stretched each word out.  Cari went and scooped up Brenna and the kid pointed at Brenna and said, "It's a baaaaaby!"  The parents continued to ignore their child.  

We left them behind again and I started laughing out loud.  Cari looked and asked me what I was laughing about.  "I don't have to tell you, you already know.", I said.   She started laughing when I mocked, "It's a baaaaby!"   Then Randy asked us, "Did you see that strange kid?"  I burst out laughing.  Even Randy knew something wasn't right.  Randy said, "Just because a baby touches you doesn't mean she likes you.  Maybe Brenna was trying to push him away."  That's when Meredith piped up and asked, "Was that a boy or a girl?"  Cari was laughing so hard she had to wipe her eyes.  

On our drive home, anytime we wanted to say someone was stupid or did something stupid, we would say, "It's a baaaaby!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol :)

rakethetable said...

Too cute.

I would guess a girl with hearts on her pockets.

Otherwise, I would have to ask you to beat up on the father.

Melba said...

weird...doesn't it annoy you no end when parents ignore their kids? I really can't stand that!