Sunday, November 02, 2008

Lunch Hour

I went out of town for work a few days ago to attend a meeting. I was in Greenwood, SC and I had my camera. When the meeting ended, I started my lunch hour.
I headed toward downtown and found a few churches. In fact, they are located across the street from each other and each one has amazing architecture. I jumped out of the car and took some shots of each church. There are some cool houses up and down the street but I remembered I was on lunch and couldn't take all day. I captured one house and then got back into the car. I'm going to spare you the history lesson on Greenwood and these churches today because we have one more stop to make. I routed my drive back into Anderson through Belton, SC. I recently learned about the Belton Standpipe, a water tower, that was built in 1909. This tower has become the symbol of Belton and is a part of their town insignia. I wanted to find it for myself.
When I arrived in Belton I had twenty minutes of lunch time left to get my shots. I still had not eaten, so I pulled into an Ingles grocery store and hit the bakery. I found a small sandwich and purchased a bottle of water to go with it. This stop wasn't part of the plan but the lunch I packed in the morning was still sitting on the kitchen counter. As I paid for my small lunch, I pictured the cats at home tearing into my lunch. They both had a smile on their face.
I had a smile on my face as I walked out of Ingles and caught a glimpse of the top end of the standpipe. When I arrived at the base, I realized that Belton is not a very pretty place. The downtown buildings seemed mostly empty and dirty. I took my shots of the water tower and headed to work.
After taking a lunch break focused on buildings and photography I had very little interest in finishing my day at work. I did my best to stay on task and get some things done but even at the end of the day, my mind was still on a great lunch hour.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. You truely are very talented!

rakethetable said...

You should be involved in waymarking.

you just visited:
Belton Standpipe Festival
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2BAB

Leave a comment - next time visit during the festival.

rakethetable said...

These are the waymarks that will be nearby this weekend.

http://www.waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f=1&lat=34.73498&lon=-83.390819&t=3&id=30573

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos!!