Saturday, January 17, 2009

Indian Truth

During my hike with Doug this week we talked a bit about the Cherokee that once lived in this area.  It was during that conversation that he asked about my Indian heritage.  

"What?", I asked. 
Without stopping our walk he told me how Meredith had told him that I am an Indian

Wow.  My little girl will tell everyone anything.  I told Doug the story of how this came about.

One night at dinner, I told the kids that I grew up as an Indian and lived in a tee pee.  With every question they had, I had an answer.  
Q: "Why does grandma and grandpa live in a house now and not a tee pee?"
A: "Because the white man came and took our land."
Randy's response was, "Dad, you are the white man!"

I kept the story going for a few nights at dinner and added in some details about Cari's family.  They were white farmers that started trading with my Indian family.   I told them that's how we met. 
That was a while back and I know Randy stopped believing the story.  I thought I remember having a conversation not long ago where I came clean on making the whole thing up.  

During dinner on the day of the hike, I told Meredith that Doug had asked me about being an Indian.  I reminded her that it was just a story for fun.  She looked at me in horror.  "You LIED to me?"
"Meredith, I told you before that it was a story." I pleaded.
"You made me lie to my TEACHER?" she yelled.
I laughed.  "You told your teacher I am an Indian?"
She was glaring.  "Yes."

I might have to put my head dress on for the next parent / teacher conference.  

4 comments:

Aaron said...

Might want to bring your peace pipe and several ears of dried corn or deerskin to trade for some fire water!

Melba said...

This one had me laughing...you really have to be careful what you tell kids, they believe so easily! :)

rakethetable said...

The things 7 years olds believe.

One Scrappy Gal said...

See what happens when you have fun at a kid's expense?

Awesome! :)