Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Photography Tools

Cari and Amanda wanted me to take some portraits of them before Amanda went home. I agreed, and thought of a few ideas that I wanted to try. After we were done and I loaded the photos onto the computer I started to notice a mistake I made.

By placing the light at an angle, I created big shadows on the sides of their heads. I believe I found the best solution to this distraction and I thought I would take a minute to show you what I did. If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, maybe you can learn from my mistake.
This probably isn't the worst photo ever, but when I was looking at them, all I could see was the shadows. I loaded up Lightroom 2 and started tinkering. I decided to black out the entire background and I finished up with this:

Essentially what I did was paint the background black. Technically, that's not what it is, but let's call it that. This made a HUGE difference in the portrait and only took a few minutes per shot.
There were some shots, like the one below, that we purposely created shadows by placing the light low and in front of the girls. I didn't have to fix those.
As I learn photography and make mistakes, I am thankful to have amazing tools like Lightroom around to save the day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Notice that in the pic with the cards I am the only one with an Ace..hehehe

Cari said...

That is because you cheated!

Anonymous said...

I so did not. You did!!!!

Aaron said...

What's the story behind the cards?

rakethetable said...

Both poker hands are terrible.

Melba said...

I like the one with the cards and the one with the fun shadow, those are cool. I also like your solution to the shadow problem. I did the same thing with an overly wrinkly backdrop not too long ago and it worked really well.