Friday, January 23, 2009

My name is Mohit

Our printer has died. It made a few loud clanking noises just before it stopped moving. My first reaction was to turn it off and on a few more times. No matter how many times I beat on the buttons and watched the lights, the printer was lifeless.

I opened it up to begin investigating the problem and I found a small scrap of paper jammed under the cartridge. The lights on the front of the unit were flashing at me.

Even with the offending paper gone, the printer was motionless. The printer is over a year old and I know that the broken hunk of plastic is my fault, but I decided to call Epson tech support.

"Janet" answered and asked for my name. I assumed by her heavy accent that she was in India. I also assumed that "Janet" was not her given name. Maybe Manisha, but not Janet. I don't mind if "Janet" is in India but I felt like I was being lied to. Changing her name didn't help get her any credibility with me.

It took five minutes to get my name typed into her computer. She repeated my last name as she heard it, "Glenn?".

"No." I repeated my name several times and spelled it out slowly for her. She finally got my last name and then repeated my first and last name. She now put Glenn as my first name.

"No.", and I repeated my first name.

Once we worked past that she asked for my email. I cringed as I saw another five minutes of my life about to get wasted.

My call to India lasted twenty minutes. Manisha was very friendly and we determined that I was out of warranty.

I still couldn't get over the fact that "Janet" wasn't being honest with me. When they get hired at a call center are they assigned an American name or do they get to choose their own?

What name would you choose if you went to work and they told you to choose an Indian name? I would choose Mohit.

3 comments:

rakethetable said...

Badni


If you saw me walk, you may ask if I had a Badni.

One Scrappy Gal said...

Vishnu!

Don't ask me why.

Melba said...

Mahila