Saturday, May 28, 2005

SCREAM!

I purchased an ice cream maker.
If you have never made ice cream before, the first thing you should know is that it takes a LONG time.

My first batch, I made old fashioned vanilla. You cook up some stuff on the stove. Chill it in the refrigerator for two hours. Then mix in some more stuff. Put your final bowl of stuff in the churner and let it go for about an hour. Then freeze it for about two to three hours. So, you're looking at about a six hour process. When you want to eat some ice cream, six hours is a long time.

The second biggest lesson is to find a soundproof location. When I plugged that mixer in at 8pm the sound was enormous. I thought my dishwasher was loud. This thing made my dishwasher sound like a cat purring.

The model I got is 4 quarts. That didn't sound like a lot to me. The number 4 is just not impressive. Quarts also sounds small. Not like 4 gallons! After making my first batch, 4 quarts is more than enough. That's a lot of ice cream.

So, how did it taste? It is awesome ice cream. I've always like Breyers ice cream best, and this home made ice cream ranks up there with Breyers, if not a touch better. Now, that I have tried it once, I need to come up with my own recipes.
I already bought a jar of cherries to dump into my next batch. Any other suggestions? Maybe I'll throw some chocolate in with the cherries.
I just can't eat my first batch fast enough, so I can start making more. In the past week, I've had ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not everyday, just at some point through the week.

So, let me know what you think I should dump in there. I'll let you know how great it tastes.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

fluff and cholclate. Thats what I would try. Maybe later some oreo cookies.

Miranda said...

Banana Split stuff - pineapple, strawberries, chocolate, and bananas. Yum.

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

Cake batter! Try using cake mix.

Duck Hunter said...

i would use cake batter if I was making a cake!!!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I will be making a batch next week, i'll let you know what it turns out to be.

Anonymous said...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;

but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
'Wow! What a Ride!'"