Sunday, May 01, 2005

You want me to eat what?


These bags contain milk, sugar, and flour.

After sitting on the counter for well over a week, Cari will add a few more ingredients and turn it to bread. How do I know so much about the process of letting milk sit and rot for a week on my counter? These bags will be Cari's second batch of this. The first batch was completed today. I came home from lunch and Cari offered some of her "fresh" bread.
"You made bread?", I asked.
"Yeah, it's from that bag I had on the counter.", she said with a smile.
"Oh, the bag that has been ROTTING for two weeks is now bread?"
I picked a piece up and put it near my mouth. Cari had the look of someone that was playing a practical joke. I paused to smell the piece in my hand. I asked several questions about the process of turning fermented milk and sugar into bread. Then I took a bite. Before my mouth was closed, Cari was asking if it was the best bread I have ever tasted.

It is good bread. Amish cinnamon bread. Part of the secret is taking a portion of your liquid goo, and pouring it into more baggies. So, every batch breeds about four more. This is where the recipe shines. Nobody wants a bag of rotted milk in their kitchen, let alone FOUR. So, you start giving bags away to your "friends" and neighbors. Before long, everyone will have special bags to hold their milk, flour, sugar mix.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm going to share this with my foods classes.

Miranda said...

I just had this a couple of weeks ago. Only around here, it is called Friendship Bread. Tell her to add nuts, chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips. It's like cake. So good!