Saturday, April 30, 2005

Cease and Desist

I'm an assistant store manager.
I want to be a Human Resource Manager.

I applied for a HR job in my company. I was told that I don't meet the minimum requirements because I have no prior HR experience.

It didn't matter that I have been an assistant manager for four years. As a manager, I perform most of the same tasks a HRM does. The HR supports the manager. Stupid.

I was a bit upset. So, I sent an e-mail to the district HR, Craig.
Craig and I wrote back a few times as I tried to figure out how I can meet the requirements of his posting.
I was getting no where with Craig. I e-mailed his boss, Clark. Clark is the regional HR.
Clark had a much more friendly tone with me and even called to talk to me.
The company will hire a guy off the street with ZERO experience and train him to be a store manager. BUT we do not have training to make someone a HRM.

I am still not satisfied with that answer. I'm stuck. They want experience as a HRM.
This all started back in December. The positions I applied for have been filled by people outside of the company. Within ninety days, those positions were both vacant again. SO, knowing that I do NOT meet the requirements, I apply for both jobs again. Now, I'm just being stubborn.

I e-mail Clark's boss this time. Scott is HR director for the South East. He is on the second tier of HR in the company. I explain my frustration to him. Looks like I have to quit the job I have had for more than eight years to get some HR experience. Scott does not call me, but he does write me back a pleasant e-mail.

Next, I decide to start back at the beginning. I will not give up. I e-mail Craig again. Auto-reply tells me he is on vacation. I immediately forward my e-mail up the chain to Clark. He calls me at the store within a few hours.

This whole process has been going on for over four months.

We discuss if there are ANY possible ways to get me eligible. There are none at this time. Maybe some training in the future, but not today. During our conversation he lets me know that he is aware of my e-mail to Scott.

Before getting off the phone, Clark very nicely gives me the cease and desist speech.
"If anything changes, you are number one on my list. I will call you. There is nothing that can be done at this time, and that is horrible to say. I will call you when there is a way."

Pretty much telling me to stop e-mailing the corporate offices.

Sigh.

3 comments:

Miranda said...

Yeah, what he said. BTW, I liked to your blog off mine, hope you don't mind.

Miranda said...

I meant she.

Anonymous said...

When you are too good at what you do, sometimes it can work against you in a big company.
The company may feel you are more valuable to them in your current career path.
Then again, maybe there is something about you, that just pisses them off...lol