Monday, April 04, 2005

Bristol Burnout!


I won my online race last night at Bristol!
I led 89 of 100 laps. There were a couple of nervous moments for me. The first coming when I needed to pit and we did not have a caution. My tires were falling apart and I was losing my lead. I had never practiced pitting under green flag, because there has always been cautions. I finaly pitted and came out in 2nd place, about five seconds behind the leader. There was about thirty laps to go. I was catching the leader at a pretty good pace. He had pitted about fifteen laps before me.
My next nervous moment came when the caution finaly did come out. With less than twenty to go. The leader pitted for tires and I stayed out, putting about five cars between us. My car was not very good on the restart, it took about two or three laps to get going. I held the lead, but that car chasing me had only one car between us when the final caution came out with five to go.
That's when our voice communication program crashed. It caused the buttons on my wheel to go dead. It also caused problems for the guy chasing me. He was unable to shift on his wheel. He was stuck in 4th gear, under caution. He restarted in fourth gear with three to go. Again, my car was not great those first two laps, and a car got under me in turn 1. I held on and pushed it through turn 2, keeping the lead. But, I was scared. I did hold the lead, and win the race. And there was much rejoicing! yeah!

No comments: