Monday, April 18, 2005

Bones


Last week, Randy fell on the playground at school. Cari called me at work and told me he broke his arm. Cari and Meredith went to pick up Randy, and then she called me back. I was thinking maybe the teacher had exagerated. Nope. Still broken. I met them at the hospital.

At the ER, we were the only ones in there. Imagine that. I've never seen an empty ER. They got us straight to the triage nurse. Then to a bed. That's right, a hallway bed. What the . . .?!
This place is not busy, these permanant hallway beds with a screen around them should be for busy times. Last time (when I was in my car accident), we found a great sign on the wall, next to the bed, that said, "no waiting in the hallway." We found another great sign this time. I swear I'm not making this up. We are sitting in the hallway bed, this time with no curtain around. The boy is pale, sweating, and holding a swollen arm. The sign has pretty pictures and is on the wall directly behind the bed:

"Asprin in a NYC hosiptal : $12
Ice cream after getting a shot : $4
Privacy in the ER at Palmetto Baptist Hospital of Easley : Priceless"


You have to be kidding me. Although the reserve the rooms for the elite, they did provide quick service this time around. After x-rays of his broken elbow, it was straight to the operating room. The doctor explained that an elbow fracture is much more serious than just a broken bone. Your elbow has such a range of motion, that it must be set PERFECT.
Cari left to leave Meredith with a neighbor, and while she was gone, it was time to take Randy upstairs.

Up to this point, I was doing very well. Not nervous, or anxious. Just calm. Until I'm upstairs listening to the anestiaologist tell me about the risks of putting Randy to sleep. Suddenly, I was sweating. I could feel myself go pale, and I felt like I was going to pass out. The doctor didn't say anything, he continued telling his horror story. I kneeled down next to Randy's bed.
"Do you have any questions?", he asked. I was holding back vomit, and trying not to pass out. I shook my head, no.

The surgery was very short. While we were waiting, Randy's teachers both came up to the OR waiting area. They offered to help in any way.

We went home about ten pm that night.

Yesterday (Monday), we went to the doctor's office to get a cast on. Randy chose green. After much crying, he finaly calmed down a bit, and we got the cast on. Back to school today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Youch!!!