Saturday, April 28, 2007

Maggot

About twelve years ago Cari brought a kitten home from work. She was working at a grocery store and found this kitten in the parking lot. The black and white kitten was dirty and mangy looking. Cari named her Maggie. I named her Maggot. I was not excited about this kitten at all.

After Cari cleaned her up and fed her I started enjoying the kitten as well. In many ways, she was like a dog. She would follow me around the house wherever I went. She would play fetch with the plastic rings from milk cartons. She begged for table scraps. Her favorite was Pringles. If you picked up a can, she would come running and try to swipe a chip from your hand. She always, ALWAYS slept in the bed with us.

When I would sit down at the computer, she sat in the corner of the desk with me. After not wanting her at all, she became MY cat.

Not long ago, she became sick and Cari had to give her insulin shots twice a day. She got much better.

About two weeks ago she got very sick again. She stopped eating and stopped using the bathroom. Her kidneys shut down. Cari ran her to the vet and it seemed there was nothing we could do to help her.

She had eaten the Easter Lilly and it turns out it's a very poisonous plant. Maggot always ate the plants in the house. She even ate Poinsettias without consequence.

We made the decision to let the vet put her out. Obviously, it was not something I wanted to happen, but she was so sick.

There is no cat begging for my food anymore. Rings from the gallon of milk go in the trash now. There is no cat watching me at the computer anymore.

9 comments:

Speed Seeker said...

Aww...As a Cat Lover/Owner, I feel for your loss. It's always tough not having the little furballs running around end getting in your way. The annoying things they did when alive are usually the things we adore and miss when they're gone.

Mojo Jojo said...

I'm sorry to read about this cute little kitty moving on. I feel for you and your family.

jen said...

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Tammy said...

That's so sad. I hope you remember the good times with her and one day are able to get another deserving kitty. You saved this one's life and gave her a good home. My condolences

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. Two of the worst days of my life were driving each of our cats to that final trip to the vet. Cried the whole way there and the whole way home. You did a great thing taking care of her for all of those years.

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

Aw...that is so sad to hear. :( What a tough decision to make.

d e v a n said...

:( so sorry!

One Scrappy Gal said...

I just read this. I'm so sorry to hear that Maggie is gone. :-( I am a cat lover but unfortunately I'm highly allergic to them. The only cat I can have is of the hairless variety and they are just too creepy looking. Maggie is lucky to have found such a wonderful family who loved her... for 12 wonderful years.

Duck Hunter said...

Thank you for all of your comments. We really did enjoy her personalty in our home.