Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Speech

At this point I have re-written my speech three times. I want it just right. There will be a lot of people listening, and I don't want to sound like the rednecks before me. You probably would like me to share my words here, but I can't. It needs to be a surprise. Only Cari has read it so far. She is a big part of this speech. One of the problems we have had is that she has other ideas about what we will talk about. We're still compromising on some of the language.

It's been almost ten years since we last purchased a lottery ticket. That streak ended last night. Cari and I had dinner at a China buffet and they gave us some fortune cookies with the bill. My fortune said that this is going to be a good year for me. On the other side of the message was lottery numbers. Well, if the fortune is right on, the numbers must be as well. We stopped at the grocery store on the way home to get our ticket.

I now have a single winning lottery ticket tacked to the board behind my desk. I'm just waiting until next week when I have to drive it down to Columbia for verification. We're going to get a limo for that trip. While I wait for the drawing to happen, I've been working on that speech I'll give. What do you wear when you win the lottery? There are a lot of details to think about when you win millions of dollars in one day. Should I start telling people at work what I really think? I'm not going to be going back after the Saturday night drawing, so if I'm going to speak my mind, now's my chance.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about this speech. I just got a few more ideas, so I'm going to start my forth draft. Don't worry, I'll continue the blog. Maybe I'll upgrade the font.

8 comments:

One Scrappy Gal said...

If I won the lottery, I wouldn't tell anyone!! I don't want people to know! Let my parents be all surprised when I buy them a house for Christmas! It will make my brother's Chia Pet look pathetic!

Firefly said...

It's a little early for the April 1 post isn't it, unless this is just a set up for that. Although last year you poasted about the pregnancy, and it was true....very mysterious.

Anonymous said...

When I win my lottery riches, I'm not quitting my job, I'm just quitting doing anything at work so I can see how long until they get around to firing me. Then I'll shrug and go on a cruise.

RoadRunner said...

I'm more like scrappy. If I won the lottery, first thing I would do is hire an attorney to figure out a way to accept the money without the cameras and news crews. Money changes the people around you. Just look at Hurley. (Lost)

rakethetable said...

I am with mike. I would sit at work and call people out in meetings as liars and half truth tellers and wait to see how long it takes to fire me. Then, I would go on a cruise.

Anonymous said...

Bingo! You now have an instant financial perspective on your close blogging pals. Mark and I already won the lottery. Didn't you know? That's how we pay for our kids to attend a private school. AND I don't do laundry in the sink anymore (WINK). It's a fabulous life baby!
~AB

Poptart said...

I'm with Mike and Rake. I'd have to see what I could get away with at work. Just think of all the pranks I could do.... that would be fun.

Aaron said...

Somehow, I don't think it would take them long to fire me if I pulled that stunt at work. :D