Thursday, March 27, 2008

Over 50!

No, I'm not talking about my IQ. I'm talking about Geocaching. Guys like Rake and Roadrunner talk about finding over 200 caches. Cari has a friend that lists over 100. All of that prompted Cari to ask me how many we have logged. I went to the site and looked at our profile. "Forty six", I told her. We both hung our heads with shame. Not even to fifty yet.
Cari said she didn't even want to tell her friend our login because they might see how lame we are.

The solution was to load up some caches into my NEW (how long can I say it's new?) GPS and the next morning we all went out hunting. I took some tips from Rake on this trip. I typed up each cache in the order that the route should take. It was very organized. Stop at a cache, find it, move to the next.

As always, Geocaching will get you some good photos.
Here we are grabbing the first one of the day. It was an easy find. After we grabbed it and got back to the car a bunch of people showed up. Good timing for us.

Here's the kids trying to open your standard ammo can. It was sealed tight so it took hands and feet, and then a mom to open this one.

When we arrived at this park in Easley it looked like a really nice place. There were picnic shelters and nice trails.
Apparently they ran out of money while building the benches.

Finally, you must see this. . .
It may look like this train is going to crush that car. The fact is that as we sat at a red light, this train approached the intersection at about 1/2 mph. He then came to a complete stop. Meanwhile, the gates were down and the red light would not change. After several minutes, the gates lifted and our light turned green. The engineer hopped out and walked over to Joe's restaurant. I guess when you drive a train, you stop when YOU want to stop.

Notice that pile of RR ties on the left of the shot. There are piles all along the route from Clemson to Greenville. The RR is spending some multi millions of dollars to replace all the ties.

We made it home and I logged all our finds.
53! Now there is something to be proud of. right?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job. That sounds like so much fun. I want to go wiht you next time that I am there. So, you have pics of the two older kiddo's but it has been forever since you have put Brenna on. Whats the deal with that. She needs her time of fame was well :)

One Scrappy Gal said...

Go forth and brag to your friends about your 53!!

When you take something out, do you replace it with something else?

RoadRunner said...

Way to break in that new GPSr. Keep it up.

Aaron said...

w00t!

I'm on the cusp of 400 (399), and I plan on scoring a bunch of virtuals on the way home from dropping Sarah off at the airport. The goal is to hit 450 before she's back next Friday. Wish me luck!

d e v a n said...

Great pics! I'd never even heard of geocaching until I started reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

very cool! and it looks like the kids had a really good time too - no whinning? awesome. extra points for that, I think.
~ab

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

We should do some when you're in Fort Myers. =)

Duck Hunter said...

Scrappy gal - most times we don't take anything or place anything. Just sign the log. Sometimes you'll find something cool and then, ya, trade trinkets.

Shawn Jennings said...

I don't think I've ever heard of geocaching until I started reading your blog either, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats on breaking 50!

Melba said...

When Michael and I first started the geocaching hobby, one of our huge goals was to reach over 100 caches...I still remember the day we hit that goal, it was a blast! :)