Monday, August 25, 2008

Corn

You can not drive through the midwest during the summer and not see field after field of corn. I'm sure that people that live there are bored. They are probably so tired of looking at corn. It appears that the farmers have heard the cries and started planting some soy beans.
All this corn and soy wasn't boring to me at all. We never see endless fields of corn at home. It is kinda amazing to me to think about how much is out there in just one field.

One morning I went out for a walk and stood at the edge looking out. I got to thinking how some people go to the beach and look into the ocean. There is endless water as far as the eye can see. The only difference is that I was looking at corn.

In one small town, I couldn't help but to stop and take pictures in front of the corn. I'm sure the locals thought something was wrong with us. Nope. We just like corn.
The kids weren't into it, so there weren't any photos of them there. Except this one where I made them get out of the car. They are excited.
Corn seems to be very popular. In El Paso, Il they have a corn festival each year. It happens closer to the time of harvest, near the end of summer. I asked what kind of things they do at the festival. Maybe they have a giant corn maze, corn bread, or even a corn eating contest. Nope, nope, and nope. This year they are having a pirate themed parade. Um. . . this is the CORN festival. Any popcorn? Not likely.

I guess they are celebrating the cutting of the corn stalks. They are simply that sick of looking at it.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

You so corny.

d e v a n said...

Those pictures are hilarious. lol

Melba said...

That picture of Brenna is too funny! Corn is everywhere around these parts, for sure! If you ever get the chance, you should go through a corn maze...they are quite the experience!

rakethetable said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rakethetable said...

I got a tour of that part of the country a couple of years back. We were working through-out the state and for a solid week we drove from town to town and I was just as amazed as you described. I wondered "can the world consume all this freaking corn?!

The other amazement of that trip for a life long Georgia boy was how long and straight the roads were. Miles and Mile before you even had to touch the steering wheel to turn a slight bit.