Saturday, August 23, 2008

They Aren't All Good Days

The past few days have not been fun at work. It's been a frustrating week.

After one of the more frustrating days I was relaxing with my children. We were watching King of the Hill and sitting together while I ate dinner. They had already eaten since I didn't get home on time. All of a sudden Meredith starts having a fit. She was holding Brenna and realized the diaper was DIRTY and SMELLY and LEAKING OUT THE SIDE.

Meredith was making a huge scene about it. I asked her to put the baby down and I would get a clean diaper going. I set my glass of juice on the ottoman and took my remaining dinner to the kitchen while I cleaned up the baby.

Often, I'll use two baby wipes when I change a dirty diaper. This time I used four. As I changed her I felt myself getting upset. I wanted to finish my dinner. This was not turning out to be a relaxing moment.

I was on the floor cleaning the baby and Meredith was talking in my ear. Randy leaned in to say something and knocked my glass of juice off the ottoman. It felt like it took him thirty minutes to get a towel. When I took the dirty diaper to the garbage, I looked into the kitchen to see kitten, Tommy, chewing on my dinner.

You can imagine the smile that came across my face as the cute, cuddly, kitty finished my dinner. Did you imagine a nice big smile? If so, go back and read the last paragraph again. I wasn't even close to smiling.

I decided to get control of the house again. The cat was expelled from the kitchen, I snapped at Meredith to be quiet, I snapped at Randy to sit down and get away from the spill, and I let the baby cry while I mopped up juice from the floor. After that I felt better.

I gave up on dinner and finished watching the end of King of the Hill while sitting on the couch with all three kids.

Everyday is not a good day, but everyday has opportunity to create good moments. . .
Like sitting on the couch with the kids.

2 comments:

d e v a n said...

Well, glad it ended alright. Some days are just like that.

Melba said...

I like the attitude you have, and the ending of this post is right to be sure. Glad your bad day ended better. ;)