Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Don't Drown!


We have been upgraded (or downgraded) to EXTREME drought here in the NW corner of South Carolina. See that deep red welt in the SE? That's me!
I was starting to think that it wouldn't rain here anymore. The series of lakes flowing down the Savannah are at severe levels.
Lake Thurmond is at minimum flow rate through the dam and will start draining lake Hartwell to make up the difference. I wonder if they'll rebuild the towns they flooded during the creation of that lake?
I had the tv on while I was reading about drought levels and the local weather came on. She said we need to make up 25" of rain. Then she said, "Naturally, not in one day."

OH, YEAH. NATURALLY! (idiot).

The next day I got a text from Cari, "Turn around. Don't drown."
I didn't know what to think. After a few texts between us I learned it is a saying during times of flash flood. Don't drive into a flooded area. Hmm. That's a funny saying when it IS NOT RAINING!

That was two days ago. It hasn't stopped raining since then. Tonight during the weather I heard someone say, "Turn around. Don't drown."

2 comments:

Melba said...

Yikes...the rain is good, but I hope you guys are OK. This has been such a bizarre year!

RoadRunner said...

I heard you got some bad weather up your way. Hope you guys faired ok.