Thursday, November 08, 2007

Dam Again!

Dang! I'm getting out of order. Before I had taken the time to tell you about Cari, baby, and I's trip the other day, I've taken another trip. I'll still get the non-interesting story from Hartwell Dam posted with a few more photos. But for now, read this:
I had to drive into Georgia for work today. Last night, when I was getting my map, I noticed a dam near my route. All thanks to Google maps and satellite view. On may way back home, I stopped at the J Stom Thurmond Lake and Dam for lunch. It's about 55 miles downstream from the Hartwell dam (the one I posted two days ago) on the Savannah river.

Two things about this site. If you look, you will see a small fishing boat near the center of the photo. A few minutes earlier, he was right along side of the dam wall. I was thinking they should open the gates just a bit a give him a scare, but they didn't. There are signs all over that warn about being close, but maybe the fishing is better up there.

The other thing is that the highway is the top of the dam. The top is about the width of a bridge, one lane each way. I walked more than half way out and took some photos of the river. A few times, a truck drove by at 55+mph and made me pretty nervous. I got up close to the railing and held it. It probably wasn't that close, but it was a bit scary.

Here's a few views from the top.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

rakethetable said...

You know we have a saying when we cross over to the S.C. side also. It goes something like.....
oh never mind... you wouldn't get it.

lol


Nice photos. come on back to the GA side anytime.