Monday, November 05, 2007

The Song

A few weeks ago I used "Praise You in the Storm" as a blog title. It is currently the title of my favorite song. It is a great song performed by Casting Crowns.

I've been thinking about writing this for a week now. I still don't know how to express the message I want to get out. I've written this twenty minutes ago. I've read and re-read it. I'm not satisfied with my ability to express the meaning of this song to me. I don't want to wait any longer to get this posted.
Read the song. Listen to the song. I don't need to say much more than that. Here's the lyrics followed with some of my thoughts.
---------------------------------------
I was sure by now
God you would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say “Amen”, and it’s still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
“I’m with you”
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth
------------------------------------------------
I think what moves me about this song is that it takes effort to do the things they are singing.
The thunder rolls. Everything is going wrong. Maybe you feel the world is coming down on you. Perhaps you lost a loved one or a friend is sick. Imagine you lost your home to a natural disaster. Haven't you heard people say "I'm mad at God"? I have.

At times like that, it takes an amount of conscious effort to praise God. It's easier to be focused on blaming God for the wrong that has been done to you. Through all your pain, you can barely hear God whispering to you, "I am with you". The song tells us that God has never left us. He is holding EVERY tear you have cried.

How much strength does it take to lift your hands and praise God at times like this? Where does my help (strength) come from? My help (strength) comes from the Lord.

The maker of Heaven and Earth.

There are several good videos people have put together of this song on YouTube. One of my favorites is the band performing the song live.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my all time favorites to. Thanks for posting it. Good start to my very long day.

Melba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melba said...

Beautiful lyrics. I'm at the library right now and can't listen to the song but I will as soon as I get home. I love what the words say and I can understand why it's hard for you to articulate your feelings about the song. I don't think this topic (faith and God) is ever easy to think or write about since it is innately complex. This has given me a good (positive) start to my long day at school and intriguing things to think about...thanks!

rakethetable said...

I too enjoy that song.

ray of hope said...

They are amazing songwriters. I love the line that says, "once again I say "Amen" and its still raining". It is so easy to forget to praise Him in the storm but it is true that ALL things work together for good to those that love God. Congratulations on the new, beautiful, healthy baby!!