Sunday, March 04, 2007

This Weekend Events

With the weekend off from work, and some beautiful weather, we decided to make the most of it.

Saturday we left the house late in the morning and headed for Brevard, NC. It's only about an hour North. I had done some research and found two waterfalls I wanted to visit. Neither one required much of a hike, so taking the kids was no problem.

The first falls can be seen from the road. Looking Glass falls was very impressive. I walked down the steps and got a view from creek level. As I was setting up my camera I almost crashed into another photographer. I thought I was down there alone, as I spun around, he was just coming down the steps. I took his picture a few times after I climbed back up. He was a nice guy and we chatted a few minutes about taking pictures. About a mile farther up the road, we stopped to see our second waterfall of the day. Moore Cove falls required about a .7 mile hike. The setting for this hike was really awesome. Several small bridges kept you wandering near the creek. Of course, after five minutes the kids complained how tired their legs were.

Once we made it to the falls, there was a huge area to climb around in behind the falls.You can see Cari and the kids walking near the bottom of the falls in this shot.

Amazingly, the kids recovered from the hike, Climbing was not a problem. As we set out, back toward the car, the fatigue returned.

Back in downtown Brevard we found a spot for a late lunch. Main Street Grill.
Don't EVER eat there. They are horrible. Their food sucks. Their wait staff sucks. Oh, and they have a run down building they tried to pretty up. $40 for the four of us to eat their $*#@ was not worth it.

The rest of Brevard was beautiful. I took a different route home, through the hick town of Rosman. I've never seen so many broke down semi trucks. There must be a town law requiring at least one in every yard. If I ever need one, I'm checking there first.
I'm still recovering from what happened tonight. I'll fill you in on it soon.

6 comments:

Mojo Jojo said...

OK, that's it, I'm moving.

This is just beautiful and I'm very jealous.

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

Aw, you guys look so cute in that picture! Next time Grant and I come to visit we will have to go hiking with you!!

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Yep. The family photo IS great. I can't go to NC, but did I forget to mention that I get to go to Maryland AND Florida this month? I'm terribly excited. I'll have to take some pictures for you to see too. But they won't rival yours. I only have an instant camera. (yes. everyone makes fun of me). Anyway, I'm so happy you had a nice "day trip." Glad you didn't get food poisioning from the grill!

Farm Girl in MD said...

Makes me want to go hiking!! I think my S.C. waterfall experience is limited to Reedy River in downtown Greenville. Definately pretty, but not awe-inspiring :)

Tammy said...

So so so so pretty!!!!!! Not fair!! All i have is Banff and I havent even been there!!!! So what happened???!!! Tell us sooner than later please!

rakethetable said...

Thanks for the update and a very nice area to hike.