Thursday, October 11, 2007

I can't tell you

This morning, at about 5:15am, I was looking around the kitchen to pack a lunch. There wasn't a lot to choose from. I take that back. There wasn't a lot that I was interested in at that hour.

I quickly packed some things and left for work.

Around 12:20, I headed out to lunch. A co-worker, Chris, stopped and asked what I had for lunch. "I can't tell you," I said. He was obviously now MORE interested what I had for lunch. "I'm kinda embarrassed about what I have." I told him it was mostly water, then left for the car.

Once I arrived at the park, I unpacked my lunch. Today I had my bottle of water, an apple, some crackers, and my sandwich. It was the sandwich that I wasn't very proud of today.

This morning I had put some salami on the bread. I used all that was left. It was about three thin slices. I knew that wasn't enough. I poked my head back in the fridge. No cheese to add to it. I grabbed the package of corned beef. As I scrunched up my face in disgust, I added a piece of the corned beef to my salami sandwich. I was just trying to bulk it up a bit. I thought about Survivorman just trying to get nutrition in his system. It didn't have to taste good.

There was no mustard, cheese, or other condiments on my sandwich. Just three slices of salami and a piece of corned beef.

Now at lunch, I unwrapped my sandwich and took a bite. As I chewed, I was very happy. It actually tasted pretty good.

I called Cari to tell her about my lunch. As I described my sandwich, she suggested I not eat it. She told me just to go buy something. Then I told her how good it was. From the sound of her reaction, you would think I just ate bugs. Tasty bugs.

2 comments:

One Scrappy Gal said...

Or a big tasty bee!!

rakethetable said...

Survivorman is nuts!

I just think he needs a few friends to go with him.

I am guessing that your wife told you that the corned beef was over a month old.