Monday, October 08, 2007

Relaxing at Lunch

I can't afford to buy a lunch everyday, so I bring lunch to work. There are plenty of people I work with that go out every day. They must spend a fortune on eating out.

I also don't care to sit in the break room during lunch. I take my lunch out to the car and drive to a nearby park. I lean back and listen to the radio or read. Peace and quiet for an hour.

On Sunday I was eating lunch and talking to Cari on the phone during lunch. In mid sentence, I started screaming.
"What's your problem", she asked?
"There's a bee in the car".

I spent the next five minutes standing in the parking lot at the park. No shoes on, running around the car, watching an itty bitty bee take over the inside of my car. The bee was hovering around the back windshield trying to get out. I started smacking my hand over it to try and scare the bee away from the back. Cari was busy laughing. Then she suggested I talk the bee out of the car. She said I did such a great job talking to bees in the yard. Of course, she wasn't serious. In fact, I don't think she could have been more sarcastic. I informed her that this time the problem was real. There is a BEE in the car!

The bee continued to buzz around the back of the car, I continued hopping around with no shoes on, and Cari continued to laugh. I made a quick grab for a blanket from the backseat. I was quick. I didn't want the bee to see me. I draped the blanket over the back windshield, trying to direct the bee toward the front of the car.

Some joggers went by, giving me a strange look. The only thing they knew was there was some guy running around with no shoes, putting blankets on his car while talking on a cell phone. I gave them a friendly smile and waved. Looking back, I'm surprised they didn't call the cops.

The blanket worked and the bee flew out of the car. I sat back down and sighed. NOW I could relax and enjoy my lunch again. Still laughing and being sarcastic, Cari suggested I make a sign to use during lunches.

"No bees allowed"

4 comments:

rakethetable said...

You are like my girls. My wife freaks out in turn my little one freaks out and I get upset. Roll the window down and be still. The bee will find it's way out and fly away. It will not like you if you swat at it. It might even want to harm you with its little stinger. Of course if it does, most bee types die after that and you are left with an annoying bee sting. (pun intended - unless you are alergic)

One Scrappy Gal said...

I was drinking my coffee when I was read this... and laughed out loud. Coffee sprayed everywhere. You owe me a new monitor!

Seriously... way to be brave!! If something like this happens in the future... just remember... bee courageous!! :)

Michelle said...

This sounds like a story that could be put to that buzzing symphony. I think its called the bee or bumble bee.

Great mental images from your writing.

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Oh darlin'... you don't want me to comment on this one. You need mace for bees on your key chain.

Did you know Melissophobia is the fear of bees? You can see for yourself at
http://www.phobias-help.com/complete_list_of_phobias.html
There IS help, Duck Hunter. Yes. Help can be found.