Friday, May 23, 2008

Church

Thanks for taking the poll. We had fifteen votes. The question was What is the biggest factor when choosing a church. 40% said other reason, 33% said the Pastor, 20% the people, and 6% location.

There are a lot of factors to think about when choosing a church. Sometimes when you choose one, the church changes.

The things I have been thinking about are a bit different. We chose a church and have attended it for several years. We used most of the factors listed above to choose this church and Cari is now very active in keeping this small church running.


Recently we changed pastors. He's a nice guy. Someone I could sit and talk with. The problem is that his sermons don't speak to me. I can't relate to his style. It may not be bad for most, but it doesn't work for me. I joked to Cari that he is writing a blog. Some Sunday's all I hear is a loosely connected series of personal stories. Some Pastors are teaching the Bible and some are writing blogs. The one we have now is writing a blog in my opinion.


I have started to think about why I go to church? I'm talking about ANY church. Why go? Am I going for social reasons? Am I going to learn about the Bible? Am I going to enhance my relationship with God? Am I going out of a duty to the church? I don't think there has to be one right answer to that question. The end result should be a stronger faith. I believe that people can get there in different ways.

For me, I go to church to strengthen my understanding in the Bible and my relationship with God. The friends that I have made there are secondary on Sunday mornings. That's why I don't feel very motivated to go anymore. These blog sermons aren't doing it for me.

But is it fair to leave the church? The church is trying to grow. The church is trying to get younger members more active. As I said, Cari is very active and I hold a position in the church as well. Some friends have told me that it's MY church. If anyone is leaving, it's the pastor! Do I have responsibility to the congregation as well? Following the previous pastor to his new church isn't very practical. It's an hour drive one way.

Meanwhile the growth and maturity of my faith has slowed. How long do I wait?