Thursday, May 08, 2008

Pillow Talk

Cari likes to buy new fluffy pillows on a regular basis. She buys them for her and not for me. I'm reminded of that every time I even glance at her pillow on the bed. Earlier this week, Cari came home with more new pillows. I didn't even ask if I'd be allowed to try one.

When I went to bed that night, I noticed Cari's new pillow on the bed. She laid down next to me and looked so happy. I got up for a third time to make sure the alarm was set correctly and turned on. I am always nervous that it is set to PM or that I haven't turned it on. Most nights I'll check it twice before I can fall asleep. Cari watches me check the alarm and then get re-settled in bed. I get the covers just right and I settle in with my old, flat pillow.

"I got you a new pillow," she says. "It's on the chair over there." She is pointing across the room.

WHY!?? Why would she wait until I have settled to tell me to get back up and find a new pillow?

I complain about her timing. After several minutes of listening to me complain, she tries to revoke her offer. I jump out of bed and grab the pillow. With the pillow under my head and the blankets back on, I frown.

"I hate this pillow," I complain. "It's too fluffy and big." I sling it off the bed and search for my flat pillow that has served me well for years. Sometimes I'm more comfortable with no pillow. Cari is laughing, her head surrounded by fluffy pillows.

1 comment: