Sunday, May 25, 2008

No Blood

Friday night was wrestling night at the rec center. I got home from work and asked the kids if they wanted to see some wrestling. Randy immediately said he would not go. On the other hand, Meredith was excited to see it. I was disappointed that Randy didn't want to go because I figured he would have fun out there. He was really over tired and getting kinda whiny. I asked why he wouldn't go and he said he didn't want to see all the blood. I reminded him it wasn't boxing. Then I showed him a clip of it from Youtube. He enjoyed the clip and changed his excuse to not wanting to see broken bones.

We left him behind with Cari and Brenna when Meredith, Amanda, and I went to the venue. We got our tickets at the door and found some seats ring side, three rows from the stage. Meredith pumped herself up on some cotton candy while we waited for it to start.
I had never been to a wrestling match. The only thing I was expected was a lot of noise. With roughly 200 people there to watch the mayhem, my expectations were met. For every match there was an obvious bad guy that would come out with an attitude. He would point and yell at the audience as we boo'd him. Then the good guy would come out high-fiving the crowd on his way to the ring. Most of the wrestlers didn't say much. They would pretty much get right to it.
Yep it's fake, but man, it was FUN. Everyone starts cheering for the good guy and then he swings off the ropes and slams the bad guy to the ground.
Even Meredith got into it. As one wrestler was coming up behind the other, she would scream, "LOOK OUT!"
Two hours of screaming later, we couldn't use our voices any more. On the car ride home, Meredith was still chanting the cheers. The three of us had a blast out there. Next time I hope to convince Randy to join us.

1 comment:

Poptart said...

Instead of the naked man statue, maybe you could get some wrestling gnomes.