Thursday, July 03, 2008

Explore

I was the second one up in the house this morning. It was about 7:20am. Of course, Randy was already up and checking out some television. No matter how early you get up, you will never be up before Randy. Some internal clock of his must be broken. He can't sleep past 6:30 no matter how late he stays up.



I decided to go out and take some photos while the sun was low and the town was quiet. I didn't really have a destination, only that I would stay in town. I took my camera bag, a tripod (which didn't get used), the GPS, and a cup of coffee.




I started out at the unused church building that sits at the entrance to town.




As I walked around the building, a dog followed me. When I turned to keep an eye on him, he would freeze. After a lap around the building he disappeared.
Next I took some back roads through the mill village. There wasn't much to photograph, but I did see one house that had their entire front porch filled with trash. I'm serious! There was a path up to the door, and that's it. Floor to ceiling trash.

Next I drove through the old cemetery and noticed three WW2 vets buried there that were brothers.

Before leaving the cemetary I also noticed this:
Why is there a basketball goal mixed in with these graves? Some sort of new ghost league?

As I continued to meander through town I started to have a need. A need to find a bathroom. . . QUICKLY. Maybe I should have taken this trip without the coffee. It's hard to slow down and take pictures when you have to pee SO bad. I didn't feel right about peeing in someones front yard. I looked at the empty water bottle on the passenger seat and thought for a moment. That wasn't a bad option, but I decided on an easier way. I drove two blocks away and ran into the grocery store.

I followed some roads up to a water tower and discovered a city ball park.
I walked around the grounds for a while before getting back to the car. By now the sun had started getting higher, which destroys that special light you can only find early in the morning or late in the evening.

When I got home, Cari asked if I found anything good. I told her I saw a squirrel running on some wires.
Cari thought the support for that window AC was more interesting than my squirrel.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Not sure about that whole basketball goal thing, but it reminded me of an OLD cemetery the other side of Atlanta that's at the end of a cul-de-sac in a neighborhood. It's got several graves from some Revolutionary War vets in it.