Monday, July 14, 2008

Life in Augusta

We went to visit my best friend, Rick, in North Augusta (South Carolina) this weekend. We got there Saturday and visited for a while before they took us to downtown Augusta (Georgia).

Augusta is another place in the South over flowing with history. I'm not going to give you a long history lesson here because you are smart enough to Google it if desired. We took a walk along the Savannah river in the park downtown. Along our walk, the kids stopped to play on the playground, we stepped over a homeless person, observed a sea monster, and checked out one of the coolest fountains around.
On the walk back we walked along the top side of the park. I started to realize that we were on a large earthen wall. Along the riverbank in Augusta, they built a large levee to protect them from future floods. It still stands as a final back up in the event of another severe flood, but mostly it's just a pretty park.

Every line in the wall of the levee marks a major flood level from the past. It is inscribed with the year, the water flow and the depth.

An outdoor amphitheater over looking the river. I didn't climb the steps, I took the wheelchair ramps.



When we left the park, we drove over to Red Robin for dinner. If you have a Red Robin near you, and have never tried it, I highly recommend it. If there isn't one near you, then you are missing out. Bring your check book when you go. Better yet, bring your neighbors check book. It's a bit pricey. Red Robin is also very good.


Saturday night we camped out in Rick and Brenda's home. We had a great time sitting on the front porch enjoying each others company before getting to sleep. Sunday morning we got up and went to church. A man approached us after church and told me he recognized me from somewhere. I told him I was from out of town and he quizzed me a bit before letting it go. He never could figure out where he knew me from. After he walked off Cari said I should have asked him if he watches Everyone Loves Raymond.


When we got back to the house, we enjoyed an excellent meal cooked by our hosts before heading home.


Yep, it was a good weekend.

1 comment:

rakethetable said...

Glad to see you enjoyed it.