Thursday, July 31, 2008

How I Did It

Cari spent the past eight months drying out five roses tied to a hanger. When they were nice a crispy we put them in a vase and I stole them from her to take some pictures.

I wanted to take some time and try a few different things with light to see what I could get.
Here's the setup I worked with.

I put black poster board on the table and one as a backdrop. I had my flash on a tripod off to the left. Finaly, the secret weapon to this shot, I added a toilet paper tube to the flash and taped off the rest of it. This would give me a spotlight effect across the table. Later, I took some pictures with this same setup and I taped a piece of tissue over the end of the tube. This gave the light a much softer look. I wish I had thought of that sooner.

I took close to 100 photos with this setup. I would adjust the angle I took the shot from, change the height and power of the flash, and rearrange the roses. I was just trying different things to see the results I would get. That's a great thing about digital. It didn't cost me anything but time to experement.

Here's a few results of this shoot.

I had started putting some things away when the new kitty ran into the room. I snatched him up and put him on the poster board. Everytime I would let go of him to take his picture, he would try to jump off the table. This was the best one I got him.


Next I loaded some of my favorites into Lightroom and Photoshop. Here's a few examples of what I came up with. There is also a few shots I put on Flickr last week.

8 comments:

rakethetable said...

Amazing

Anonymous said...

It's very cool and mysterious looking!!

Porcupine said...

Very impressive!

Anonymous said...

You are so talented with this stuff.

Mojo Jojo said...

You did say she spent time drying them, didn't you? Wow, they look like they are still half fresh.

Love the pics. I wish I had your talent.

Melba said...

I LOVE the last photo with the four roses in a line and one out front. Very good use of the frame in the composition of that shot!

Poptart said...

Very cool! Tommy Boy looks great.

Duck Hunter said...

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate that.