Thursday, July 16, 2009

48 Degrees

We drove up to visit Sliding Rock in the Pisgah National Forest on Tuesday afternoon. It was hot outside and I figured the cold water would be good.

When we arrived, it was immediately obvious that the air in the mountains is much cooler than the air at home. Suddenly, the 48 degree water of the falls didn't sound as refreshing. Now it just sounded COLD.

There was a line at Sliding Rock that went through the creek and up the side of the rock. Standing in line wasn't bad because you got to watch all the other fools splash down and then freak as their bodies went into cold water shock. It helped me forget that in just a few minutes someone would be standing in line watching me.

Meredith, Randy, and I decided to take our chances while Cari stayed on dry ground with the baby. Here's the video of us heading down the slide:





Sliding was incredible fun! As soon as you splash into the water your body says, "GET OUT!", and once you get out, your brain says, "That was fun, go again!"

Meredith's brain must work a little differently, because she opted not to go again when the boy and I got back in line.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Wow, it's been FOREVER since I've been to sliding rock. I don't even recall that fancy observation deck, so I guess it has been a long time...

Meg and Family said...

That's way too cool! There is a sliding rock in Arizona I used to visit when I was younger. Fun!