Friday, July 31, 2009

Transformed

After I had finished cutting grass on Thursday morning I noticed an area with a few yellow jackets buzzing around. I wandered over to investigate, hoping to find and destroy their home. What caught my eye was one yellow jacket still squirming while trapped in a spider web. The spider ran down the web and started to beat the tar out of that yellow jacket.

They were both moving at a frantic pace as the winged insect started to get covered in sticky web. I ran inside and grabbed my camera and flash. With the flash set on the ground and aimed up at the fight, I started shooting.
These last two shots were taken from the other side of the web, facing the yellow jacket bent in half. Once the victim seemed secure, the spider retreated to a corner and waited for his prey to stop moving.
After a few moments, the spider came back and tied up his dinner a bit more before pulling him up to the top of the web. The entire process took less than five minutes and it was interesting to watch the spider in action.

What I saw on Thursday was yellow jacket being transformed into spider.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What? You witnessed a murder and didn't intervene?

Just kidding. Very cool photos!