Wednesday, July 01, 2009

This is NOT for You!

On Tuesday I received an email from the corporate office. It was to notify me of yet another conference call that I am supposed to be on. I forwarded it to a peer that also has to be on the call and wrote a sarcastic line at the top. Something along the lines of, "Don't miss this call and then good luck getting the rest of your job done."

I clicked send and my eye caught the error. In the "To:" field I saw "Corporate Communications"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't hit "forward", I had hit "reply". Instantly my mind tried to think of a way I could stop it from sending, but my sarcasm had already left the screen. There was no stopping the bits and bytes from telling the corporate office my opinion of their call. The worst case scenario rushed into my head and I felt very ill.

I am normally careful about things like this, but I was distracted for just a moment. I called my friend that should have gotten the email. My error brought him much joy as I heard him pounding a fist on his desk while laughing uncontrollably. He wasn't making me feel much better.

Over the next five minutes I checked my email ten times. The phone didn't ring and I didn't get any new messages. Sweat poured off of my head.

By the end of the day I had developed a logical story for my sarcasm (thanks to Cari) and I hadn't received any response back from corporate.

Crisis averted? I think so.

2 comments:

Tom said...

The dreaded "ohnosecond" - the amount of time between hitting SEND and then regretting it.

Poptart said...

HAAAAAAAA!!! I did something like that once. I thought I was going to puke.