Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day Time Explorers

We packed a lunch and headed out to lake Issaqueena the other day. I had previously been out to this secluded spot alone and wanted to share it with the rest of my family.

When we arrived, there were a few cars in the lot and a few men standing around at one of the open-air buildings. This lake is very peaceful and beautiful but also creepy because you are so secluded. Only fifteen minutes from town, but off the beaten path. I wouldn't come out here at night.

We walked over to the dam and followed a trail around the shore of the lake for a few minutes. The kids talked about swimming, but the water didn't really look that great.

We got back in the car and on the way out, I followed a dirt road that looked to circle half of the lake and connect to civilization at the other end. We passed by several trail heads and picnic areas along the way. Some of these spots were ocupied but most were empty.

The GPS showed that we were getting close to our connection point but as I rounded the corner we came to a stream that crossed the road. I thought about plowing through it but Cari gave me a worried look. We stopped the car and got out to examine the road block.
The stream wasn't deep, but it was very rocky and rough on the bottom. I noticed a few larger boulders in the bottom and compared it to the ground clearance of my car. The explorer in me really wanted to try and make it, but with three kids in the back seat I didn't want to get stuck out here. With the car in reverse, I drove to the nearest picnic area to turn around.

Driving back, I kept thinking about how amazing this place looks and how there wasn't that many people around. It's a hidden treasure in the county. Some spots become popular hang outs and become more developed, but this lake has lasted decades as a lesser known. Most of the people I have seen out there are either on bike trails or on the waters edge fishing.

This is a great place to go and get away for a while, just don't go after dark.

1 comment:

Tom said...

You should have driven through the creek. It's not that bad.

And if you didn't make it, your children would have some interesting stories to tell as adults. ;-)