Tuesday, July 14, 2009

More Babies!

I have been watching this bird nest in my rose tree for the past few weeks. Once I discovered, I had stopped caring for the tree because I didn't want to disturb the nest too much. That meant no pruning or spraying of any chemicals.

My hard work of neglect finaly paid off last week as I checked on the Mockingbird eggs and found two babies sitting in the nest! Cari and I kept the birds a secret from the kids because we were worried that they would disturb the nest and we didn't want momma bird to abandon them.

The babies didn't have their eyes open yet, so I'm guessing that they must have only been a few days. That fact made me a bit curious yesterday when I found the nest to be empty. They seemed awlfully young to have flown from the nest already.

Is it possible a predetor (neighbors cat) came and visited the nest in the night? Is it possible that they found a higher quality nest and moved away? Is it possible that they were quick learners and have flown on to start their own families?

I think I'm going to stick with the last theory and pretend there was a happy ending for the two babies. I just hope that next year, the momma makes her nest a little higher up rather than the stupid rose tree.

No comments: