Sunday, January 23, 2005

Local News

I now understand why Floyd's Barber Shop was the best hangout in the Andy Griffith Show.

Living in a small southern town, I have learned that going to the barber shop is the best source of local news. The barber knows a lot of things about a lot of people. He's not shy about sharing this information. The best time to get good gossip is a weekday morning. That's when all the old men go in there.
During my latest visit the other morning I heard some good stuff. Turns out the barber is arguing with the mayor about parking in downtown. Downtown is one street, one block in length. The barber went on to tell us how his nephew is a local cop, and asked his uncle to just drop the issue. That won't be happening. While I was getting my hair cut, a guy that works at the morg came in. The old men started asking, "how did so-and-so die?" That would lead in to a discussion about so-and-so. The barber was able to give a lot of info on every so-and-so mentioned.

Want to know what's going on in town? Head to the barber shop. Maybe I'll bring my checker board with me next time.

No comments: