Friday, August 26, 2005

Betrayal!


Brand loyalty is very strong in this house. Nascar promotes that ideal. Jeff Gordon is a favorite for Randy and I. Pepsi sponsors Jeff. Calling someone a "coke drinker" is a very derogatory remark in this house. When you see someone you don't like, they are a "coke drinker".

Cari will drink Coke (diet) because some of the drivers she likes drink Coke.

Last week, some friends came over to watch the race with us. He brought along a bottle of Coke. He was quickly informed by Randy that he was a Coke drinker. Our friend is a Jeff Gordon fan. How good of a fan can he be, if he is drinking Coke?

When I got home from work the next night, I saw that mostly full bottle in the fridge. I was thirsty and there wasn't much else in there.

There was a noise over to my side, then the flashes started. Cari was clicking away on the camera.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!", I shouted.
"Getting proof to show your son.", she said with a smirk.
She continued, "Wait until morning, when he finds out his dad is a coke drinker!". Now she was laughing.

Cari went on to bed and I sat up thinking how I would get out of this. Maybe she would forget.

The next afternoon, I was sitting at the table and Cari walked in with Randy.
"Ask him.", she prodded Randy.
The color must have left my face as my son looked at me with a face of disapproval.
"Dad, are you a coke drinker?", he finally asked.
"nope.", I told him. This was not a lie, because I don't really drink coke. I just sipped it that one night.

Randy holds up a paper, then sets it on the table. Pictures.
"YOU ARE A COKE DRINKER! I THOUGHT YOU LIKED JEFF GORDON!", Randy yelled.
I explained to him that I was tasting it because I wanted to see what it was like.
He asked me if I liked it and I told him it was extremely nasty. I won Randy back, but he will never forget that image of his dad drinking Coke.

If you are coming to my house, please don't bring any Coke.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

smooth responce D.H.