Monday, August 08, 2005

copyright or wrong?

In school you were taught about copyrights. Especially at times of writing a report. You can not copy straight from a book into your report. UNLESS you put it in quotes and give credit to that author.

So there are exceptions to the rules, right?

There was a time that I would download any game I wanted. I knew how to search it out and where to find the files. I would only buy one out of ten games I played during that time. I have stacks of CD's of these games. Some of them I only played once or twice. I think in some cases it was the "thrill of the hunt". I didn't really want ALL those games. It was certainly stealing, but I didn't feel bad about it. I would NEVER go into a store and shoplift. Somehow this was different to me. Maybe because there was no physical merchandise. I'm not sure why. Last month a game came out that I wanted to try. I attempted to download it from my known sources. As it was transferring over to my machine, I had an unfamiliar feeling. I felt downloading this game wasn't right. What's wrong with me, I thought. I stopped the download.

So why is music different? I still download music, and I scoff at the people that buy CD's at the store. They play all these songs on the radio, so I'm just making up my own radio station. Right? With how popular devices like the iPod have become, does it not encourage downloading music? I know it can now be done legally. Why pay for something you can get next door for free? When the masses are doing it, it doesn't feel as bad.

Cari came back from the store yesterday and I flashed a new CD I had just burned.
"What did you make?", she asked.
"I got a bunch of new songs to listen to in the car. I found some Rich Mullins, Michael W. Smith, Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, and stuff.", I told her proudly.

"You stole Christian music?!", she asked me with a smirk.

No comments: