Tuesday, August 16, 2005

No hablo espaÃnol

There is a County commissioner in Idaho trying to fight illegal immigration. First he petitioned the Governor to declare his county a disaster area. He was denied. Then he sent a bill of about TWO MILLION dollars to the Mexican government. It has not been paid yet. Now he is suing companies that hire illegal immigrants under racketeering charges.

THIS GUY IS AWESOME! His name is Robert Vasquez. Yep, Vasquez. His grandparents migrated here from Mexico. He refuses to speak Spanish in interviews. He says he is a government official in the United States, and we speak English. HooRah!

When we lived in Florida, I had many people tell me that I should learn Spanish because so many more Hispanics are moving there. I refused. I believe those people need to learn English.

I'm not against LEGAL immigrants, but I love how this commissioner is fighting the illegal ones. There is now a group fighting against him. They say that all people should have a right and he is taking their opportunity away. That makes me so angry. There is a process to come here rightfully. There is a process to get work visas.

These people are causing American citizens to lose their jobs. Companies are closing up because they can't compete with the cheap labor that illegals create.

I hope Mr. Vasquez sets a precedent that spreads across the country!
You can read a bit more about this here. Or just google his name.

3 comments:

Miranda said...

My on-again, off-again radio love, Sean Hannity, has been talking about this lately. I'm glad there are some people dealing with this problem. We've let it go on far too long, it's time to do SOMETHING.

Michelle said...

Kel and I watched Spanglish last night, and when she and her daughter are crossing boarder by foot in suggested illegal ways I thought for sure that was going to play a factor in the plot.
I guess as long as the illegal aliens are georgeous, commited to their culture, and good parents does the law really matter? ;)

GoGo said...

I agree.

It gets old.. Walking into warehouses. Blank stares.

"I have a 3'O clock appointment"

Blank stares

Three O'clock (holding up three fingers)
I point to the dock door. TRUCK, appointment.

Blank stares.

Boss, where is boss? English!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!