Thursday, May 31, 2007

Hummingbird Hunter

The hummingbird was visiting the feeder hanging from our front porch last night. I ran into the office and grabbed my camera and flash. When I got onto the porch, the hummingbird was not there. I set up my flash in a hanging basket of flowers pointed at the feeder. I sat on the bench holding my camera and started to wait.

I continued waiting.


The sun was almost out of sight and I continued to wait.

Then I heard familiar short chirps that I knew to be a hummingbird. I sat up and studied the tree across from me. Last year, that tree was a popular spot for the birds to observe the feeder from.
Then I spotted him. Sitting across from me in that tree, he turned his head, revealing his location to me. This wasn't the shot I was ready for. I slowly put the zoom lens on my camera and put the camera to my face.

Then he flew off. QUICKLY.

He made a brief 1/4 second appearance at the feeder and then was gone again without eating. I went inside to express my frustration to Cari. I couldn't find her in the house, so I went back to my spot on the porch. Now, I couldn't even hear the hummingbird. I felt like he had gone for the night.

As I packed up my equipment, Cari came out to the porch. "Where were you?", I asked.
"I filled the humming bird feeder in the back yard." she said. "I came out to tell you there was a bird on it."

"Why would you fill the back feeder when I am trying to stalk the birds on the front one? You just gave them an option to escape me."

She answered with a smile.

My stuff was already packed up, so I picked up and went inside. The sun was completely down and it was too dark to get the shot I wanted. I peered out the back window at the feeder Cari had filled. One hummingbird was finishing his meal as I stood there, then quickly flew off toward some trees. He may have escaped me tonight.

Next time will be a different story.

3 comments:

Mojo Jojo said...

I was going to say...Where's the bird? Guess I found out reading the rest.

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Awww.... how sad. I'm looking forward to seeing the shots you take later. Its SO rare to see hummingbirds near us. So its super cool when I do. They seem to like my morning glories.

rakethetable said...

They are amazing birds.

Good luck with the photographing of them.