Thursday, May 10, 2007

Poinsett Bridge

I got up this morning, drank a few sips of coffee and loaded up the car. Camera equipment, GPS, Mp3 player, a packed lunch, and the rest of my morning coffee were put in the car and I headed out.

About forty minutes later I arrived at Poinsett Bridge. I have been to the bridge one other time for a brief visit. This time I took my time taking pictures and admiring the stone work. Joel Poinsett was the person that commissioned the bridge to be built, and supervised its construction.
The bridge was constructed in 1820 as a part of the South Carolina state highway. The highway linked Charleston, SC to Asheville, NC.

Joel Poinsett was once the US ambassador to Mexico. He is the one that brought the Poinsetta plant to the United States and the Christmas plant was named for him.


There isn't much water going through the creek that the bridge crosses, making it pretty easy to walk under the arch and get photos from a lot of angles.

After about two hours, I sat down on the bridge and ate my lunch. After lunch, I went back to getting some more pictures while I listened to my Mp3 player. The road can not be seen from the creek below. That explains how the two officers were able to surprise me as they walked under the arch. I caught one in a photo by accident. They apologized for getting in my shot and asked if I was taking pictures for a publication. Then they left. I think they were there on a break or something. There is nothing around this area to be policed.

I spent over three hours around the bridge this morning. Over two hundred pictures were taken. Six of the photos made it onto my flickr page, so you can view them there. This was the first photo shoot that I turned off all automatic settings on the camera and learned how to choose the settings myself. I think I got some good ones.

Poinsett Bridge was a beautiful place to spend the morning. A very relaxing place to sit and look while listening to the water on the rocks. Until the law shows up.

3 comments:

Speed Seeker said...

Those are some nice pictures...Leave it to the police to investigate everyone...hehe

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

I've got to tell ya.... looking at all your photos makes me ache for North Carolina. I just keep praying God has a plan for us to be there soon.
I'm glad you had a nice time. What are you doing for your wife for Mother's Day?

Duck Hunter said...

Abbie, if I told you what I was going to do for Cari here, wouldn't she see that? If you get to NC, you and your family will have to come visit us.