Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My morning

"The computer won't on.", she said. I was sleeping. Sleeping soundly. It was early.
I hardly opened an eye, "huh?"
"I can't get the computer to turn on. It has power, but the screen is blank.", Cari explained.
I replied in my sleep, "turn it off and turn it back on again."
The next time I remember her coming back she told me, "It won't turn off."

At this point I realized I was getting up. The computer was working at two AM when I went to bed. Now at 7:30 it was not. I staggered over to the desk and turned the computer off and on again. Just as she described, blank screen.

Cari was in the kitchen getting the kids ready for school. I glanced in her direction as I headed back to bed, "Memory is dead."

I woke back up at around nine when Cari asked what was going on with the computer. She was starting to have internet withdrawal. I told her one of the RAM chips had failed.

After I had my cup of coffee I opened the computer and took one of the two chips out. Turned on the computer and nothing. Put that chip back in and took the other out. Computer started just fine.
I held up the offending chip, "this one is dead." The sticker on it says, "ValueRAM".

ValueRAM has NO value at this point.

We went from two 512MB chips to one. The result, large programs run slower. Simcity 4 will crawl with a large city. Cari's eyes lit up at that.
"I have traffic to fix in my city!", she told me as I purchased a new chip online.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Ohh Coffee. I remember coffee. I have been going with out it for almost 7 days, and the headaches are finally stopping. 7 days down only 34 more weeks to go :)

Duck Hunter said...

why give up coffee? I know some people that drink coffee all day long. I'm sure that can't be good. And what is the significance of 35 weeks?

John said...

duck hunter,
I got my butt handed to me when I suggested to The Mrs. that she check the power cord. Whoa. Good thing you didn't go there . . .

Michelle said...

Well I read that women who drink coffee or cafine during pregnancy are 5 times more at risk for miscariage, and that right now more so than any other time the babe is very suspetable to chemicals.
If I'm six weeks and 4 days pregnant now and the average pregnancy last 40 weeks thats how much more time I have until I can have coffee regularly again :(