Thursday, September 29, 2005

Thanks for volunteering!

Charge conference was Monday night. It is the meeting that members of the church decide on officers for the coming year.

Cari and I sat one row back from the front. We each already had our names on the page for different positions. As the district superintendent read the list of positions and names, he came to a place with three blanks listed. This is for the committee on Lay Leadership. He instructed the group that we should nominate three people and at least one should be a person under thirty years old. He emphasized that point several times before taking names. Cari and I were the only ones in the room under thirty. I put my head down and focused on the floor. That is a tactic you use in school when you don't want to get called on, so I thought I would try it again.

The room was quiet for a minute, then I heard the voice of my friend, Bill.
"I'd like to nominate. . .", I heard him start.
Inside my head, I was screaming, "WHY ME?!"
Bill continued, ". . .Cari."

I looked up. My tactic had worked. I glanced over at Cari and saw the look in her eye. I started laughing to myself. She should have focused on the floor if she didn't want it. She shot a look over at Bill.

As soon as the meeting was over, Cari ran up to the Pastor. "What did I get nominated for?"
He explained the position briefly, then Cari headed straight for her nominator.
Bill was already in the back of the room laughing. He knew she would be looking for him. I ran up and shook Bill's hand. Cari said, "Why didn't you pick Ed?"
"I knew what I was doing.", he replied.
He must know the rule about staring at the floor.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thank goodness for this post, or I'd never have known the power of the floor stare.