Thursday, August 23, 2007

BEES! The conclusion.

Over the past few nights, Cari and I have walked down the driveway to check the status of the bees. It had been several days since we last discussed it, but when I wrote about it on the blog earlier this week, I revived the discussion of the bees.

So last night we stood there looking again. "Pull some of the rocks away from the nest", she instructed me. I hesitated and thought of some excuses.

"I kinda like those rocks there.", I told her.
She demanded the rocks get removed. I climbed down and quickly flicked a rock on the top of the pile. No bees came out. I picked up that rock and set it near her foot. I was relieved nothing flew out. I declared a success and started to walk away. She told me to dig out a few more rocks. She wanted to prove me wrong. I think she WANTED me to get stung last night.

I was honestly a bit nervous, and felt like I was pushing my luck with these stupid bees. I couldn't tell her that after getting so far. Climbing back down, I pulled three more rocks off the pile. This pile was all around the opening to the ground bees nest. Still nothing flew out. At her request I dropped a large rock on the opening twice and removed it to prove no bees lived there anymore.

Frustrated, she decided the bees had in fact left. But she refused to give me any credit for the bee removal. We walked back into the house. I was prancing around victoriously. As I did, Cari picked up a bowl and filled it with water. Then she took that bowl of water outside and started down the driveway. I stopped prancing.

I tried to stop her, but she was determined to dump the water into the nest. I pleaded with her not to do it, and she asked why I was so nervous if there were no bees.

I let her dump the water. A few seconds later one bee emerged and she drowned him with the rest of the water. No other bees came out.

As we walked to the house again she declared that she had to remove the bees herself.

"WHAT!! YOU???? Oh, you killed ONE bee!", I hollered.
"You did nothing.", she claimed.
I told her of my struggles to talk the bees out of the nest but she wasn't going for it.
We went back and forth like this for about five minutes. I struggled to get credit for removing the nest of bees. She didn't see it that way.

Fact is the bees are gone.
Thanks to my superior negotiation skills.

1 comment:

One Scrappy Gal said...

They are gone thanks to Cari and her awesome manipulation of water!

You can't negotiate with bees. They get all abuzzed!