Sunday, August 26, 2007

You just lost a customer

Time for a haircut again. If you remember a few weeks back, I talked about trying a new barber shop because my normal place was closed. Before I left the house I asked Cari where I should go. I pretty much already knew what I wanted to do, but I was curious what she thought. She told me to try Rowland's first. He has been my barber for three years. That's exactly what I did.

Drove over to Rowland's and found this:Closed when he should be open. He just lost a customer. No more visits to Rowland's shop.
I'm all about routine. I think most people are. People tend to fight change. Mark (the barber) forced me to change my routine twice now. I'm developing a new routine for getting my hair cut.

I went into town and walked into the barber shop where I let a woman cut my hair about a month ago. Nobody was inside except a barber. A female, but not the same one as last. Melody told me a little bit more about this barber shop.

She said it has been a barber shop since the 1920's. The building has only had two remodel upgrades since then. In the 1970's they put up wood paneling and about five years ago they changed the floor where the barber stands. She said there are showers in the back that people in town used to come in and use on Saturdays. I guess everyone didn't have running water.
The barber chair I was sitting in had an ash tray in the arm rest. Melody told me she wouldn't want to imagine the place filled with smoke every day. The old man that owns the place is in his 80's. She said Don used to shine shoes in the one room shop when he was boy.

Melody did a great job. Not only did I get a nice hair cut, I also got a history lesson. I really like my new barber.

3 comments:

Speed Seeker said...

Oh Well...His loss. Sounds like a great story from the past.

One Scrappy Gal said...

See!! Change can be good!!

Ever find out why the other barber was always closed when he should be open?

Duck Hunter said...

Yeah, if you look at the full size photo I took of his door, he was working the wing trailer. He goes to football games and other events as a food vendor. Selling hot wings. I guess his weekend priorities have changed. It was Saturday when I was out there.